Home » Extra Credit assignments

CC0 1.0 Universal Public Domain Dedication

Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons CC0 1.0 Universal Public Domain Dedication license.

Extra Credit assignments

“Hey There Delilah”: A Timeless Classic and a Personal Favorite

I have always struggled with choosing a favorite anything, but when someone asks me about my favorite song, “Hey There Delilah” by Plain White T’s is the one that immediately comes to mind. This song holds a special place in my heart because it captures the feeling of longing and nostalgia for home that I experienced when I first moved to New York from Israel. As someone who left behind everything I knew – my neighborhood, school, and friends – it was a challenging time. However, while riding the bus to the city, I found solace in listening to “Hey There Delilah” on repeat, thinking about how beautiful New York is while still missing my home. This song helped me to remember that feeling and appreciate the connections I have made in New York, reminding me that even though I may be far from my roots, I can still find comfort and inspiration in my memories and experiences. The lyrics of this beautiful love letter from a boyfriend to his long-distance girlfriend remind me of the power of music to connect people across distance and time, and it will always have a special place in my heart.

Recently, the song has taken on a new meaning for me as I find myself in a long-distance relationship. My favorite line, “A thousand miles seems pretty far, but they’ve got planes and trains and cars, I’d walk to you if I had no other way,” now resonates with me on a deeper level as I appreciate the message of love and commitment even more. Although I have listened to this song countless times, it continues to be a source of comfort and inspiration for me.

Overall, “Hey There Delilah” is a timeless classic that will always hold a special place in my heart. It’s a reminder of my roots, my journey, and the power of music to connect us all. If you haven’t already, I highly recommend giving it a listen. Here’s the link to the song on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_m-BjrxmgI.

Fun Facts:

I listened to the song on a loop the whole time I was writing this paragraph.

I listened to the song 110 times during 2022 (at least on Spotify).